Internal/External Employment Opportunity
Position Title: Community Health Nurse – Supervised Injection Services
Status: Permanent, 0.83 FTE Part-Time (29.05 hours per week)
Salary Scale: $66,448 – $80,044 annualized salary plus benefits, both pro-rated to part-time status + 10% Premium to the hourly rate for hours worked on Saturday and Sunday
Start Date: Immediately
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 28, 2023 at 4:00 p.m.
The Community Health Nurse is a member of the Oasis team and works closely with team members to provide the highest possible quality of health care services to clients.
The role of the Community Health Nurse SIS (Oasis) is to work with clients to help them achieve their desired health goals by establishing trusting relationships, conducting nursing assessments, engaging in health teaching and harm reduction counselling related to drug use, monitoring for signs of drug overdose or anaphylaxis, and intervening in emergency situations based on the centre’s policies and procedures and according to the College of Nurses of Ontario standards of nursing practice. As a member of the larger interprofessional care team, the Community Health Nurse may also provide primary care to people who experience barriers to accessing care due to their use of street drugs and concurrent disorders.
This may include providing immunizations, wound care, offering screening, counseling and testing for sexually transmitted infections and blood-borne infections such as HIV and Hepatitis C and connecting clients to substance use treatment services (including opioid agonist treatment) and other health and social services when appropriate (i.e. housing, income support, food support, mental health counseling). The Community Health Nurse may also conduct intake assessments for our opioid agonist treatment service and will be working in our upcoming injectable opioid agonist treatment service (injectable hydromorphone).
The Community Health Nurse, SIS is directly accountable to the Oasis Nursing Team Leader for the carrying out of his/her duties and through to the Director of Oasis and to the Executive Director.
As a Community Health Nurse, the incumbent is responsible for meeting the licensing and regulatory requirements of the College of Nurses as the professional governing body.
Skills, Education and Experience:
Requirements for this position include:
Education, Language and Training
- Undergraduate degree in nursing from a recognized university or combination of nursing diploma and additional relevant courses/training
- Certificate of competence (Registered Nurse) from the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Under the Centre’s designation to provide French Language Services:
- French (oral expression): Advanced +
- French (oral comprehension): Advanced +
- French (reading comprehension): Intermediate
- Fluency in English, both oral and written
- First Aid and CPR (level C) Certificate
- Three to five years nursing experience in a community setting or combination of community and hospital or public health settings: experience in a primary care setting an asset
- Experience working with a broad range of populations, including: people with HIV/AIDS, hepatitis C, street involved people, transgendered people, men who have sex with men, sex trade workers, people with mental illness, people with overwhelming substance use disorders, and other marginalized groups
- Experience working within a harm reduction approach
- Experience in mental health and substance use disorders
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the impact of the social determinants of health on HIV, hepatitis C and substance use an asset
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Effective communication skills, including health education
- Excellent counseling skills, including motivational interviewing
- Excellent physical assessment skills
- Ability to incorporate and strengthen collaborative and interdisciplinary teamwork
- Ability to work with street-involved populations.
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary care giving team.
- Ability to work within the mandate of the Sandy Hill Community Health Centre and the Oasis Program
- Ability to work under stress with multiple demands.
- Ability to work outside regular hours
- Proficiency in the use of computers and various software applications
- Demonstrated flexibility, good judgment, initiative & creativity
- Respects and values the diversity of communities and individuals
- Sensitivity and alertness to signs of a client in crisis
- Commitment to and knowledge of community-based health care
Hours of Work
- Must be available for shift work, including evenings and some weekends. Shifts will be based on a rotating six week schedule and will be 9.5 hours in length (excluding breaks
Sandy Hill Community Health Centre offers employees an excellent benefits package which includes 4 weeks holidays (pro-rated to status) in addition to a Pension Plan (Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan – HOOPP) and excellent Group Insurance Plan.
Conditions of Employment:
Hours of work will be developed in collaboration with the successful candidate to ensure a healthy work-life balance. A schedule of work will be based on the Centre’s hours of operation and program requirements.
An offer of employment will be conditional upon the candidate completing a criminal reference check, verification of educational requirement for this position and linguistic profile to the satisfaction of the Sandy Hill Community Health Centre.
Please note that Sandy Hill CHC has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy. All applicants are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be considered for employment. An offer of employment will be conditional upon the candidate providing proof of full vaccination. Reasonable accommodations will be considered for individuals with a medical reason or a reason pursuant to the Human Rights Code that restricts them from being vaccinated against COVID-19.
SHCHC will provide accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process.
If at any stage in the selection process you require accommodation due to disability, please let us know the nature of the required accommodation.
Clients of the Centre are welcome to apply. Should a client become the successful candidate, they will no longer be able to continue receiving services at Sandy Hill Community Health Centre. Assistance will be made available to find an alternative provider.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.